Policy Laboratory 2
The second MIN-GUIDE Policy Laboratory entitled “Innovations and Supporting Policies for Mineral Exploration and Extraction” aims to provide an overview of and reflect upon innovation examples in exploration and extraction, including deep-sea mining, and how they link to Policy in the EU Member States. The workshop took place on 21-22 March 2017 in Leoben, Austria.
The Policy Laboratory format, designed by MIN-GUIDE partners, engages participants from policy, industry, Geological Surveys, and research in an intensive and interactive exchange. This allows the participants to hands-on learn from good practice cases, to explore transferability in different contexts and to reflect upon future needs.
Finally, the outcome of the second Policy Laboratory contributes to further develop the Online Minerals Policy Guide.
- MIN-GUIDE project overview and objectives of the Policy Laboratory, Andreas Endl, Vienna University of Economics and Business
- The EU’s Raw Materials and Minerals Policy Framework, Anne Auffret and Rodrigo Chanes Vicente, European Commission, DG GROW - Unit C2 - Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials
- Main challenges and drivers for industry in exploration and extraction in practice: the industry perspective, Thomas Drnek, Euromines
- Addressing raw material exploration and extraction challenges: policy responses in Europe, Peter Moser, Montanuniversitaet Leoben
- Stock-taking on innovation in exploration and extraction, incl. enabling policies and good practice cases, Michael Tost (Montanuniversitaet Leoben) and Roberto Tomasi (GOPA Com.)
- Good practice cases on innovation for minerals exploration and extraction: content of the 3 Policy Laboratories, Michael Tost, Montanuniversitaet Leoben
- Implementation of geo-models and data management at Hellas Gold for resource development, Panagiotis Zachariadis, Hellas Gold S.A.
- Innovations in Airborne Exploration Geophysics, Benedikt Steiner, xplORE.global
- Drones, Ari Saartenoja, Radai Oy
- Extraction process control & (Big) Data Management, Markus Hӓupl, STRABAG S.E.
- SANDVIK MX650 Rapid Mine Development System, Uwe Restner, SANDVIK
- Blue Mining Project: Innovation in deep sea mining, Robert van de Ketterij, Blue Mining project
- "New challenges for the Azorean deep-sea ecosystems" Potential mining impacts, Ana Colaço, MIDAS project
- Underwater exploration and mining, the UNEXMIN project, Norbert Zajzon, UNEXMIN project
- Extraction - Results of the workshop, Darko Vrkljan, University of Zagreb
- Deep Sea Mining – Results of the workshop, Luís Pinheiro, University of Aveiro
- Needs and gaps in policies for innovations in extraction in Europe, Martin Erich Lang, Consultant Engineer
- Deep sea - Needs and gaps in policies for innovation in exploration and extraction in Europe, Paul Lusty, British Geological Survey